skip the bar  Po-Net  Culture in Prato  Art and History  Itineraries in town  Duomo- S. Stefano Cathedral
progetto cofinanziato da
Unione EuropeaMinistero dell'Interno
Fondo europeo per l'integrazione di cittadini di paesi terzi
Po-Net
 back
Itineraries in town

Duomo - S. Stefano Cathedral

The work of widening and renovation of the "Pieve" (probably dated back to the V century) started about in the middle of XII century, changed the simple original building in one of the most important Romanesque-Gothic churches in Tuscany.

The beautiful romanesque closter, modified in the XV century, goes back to the second half of XII century.

The churchtower was realized probably on a project by Guidetto from Como in the beginnine of 1200, and was completed with a three light window in 1356-1357.


At the same time as the building of the Holy Waste's Chapel in 1386, the construction of the current late gothic front by Lorenzo di Filippo started. The front has a basament in alberese material as also the made upper part. However, it was completed only in the next century in which also the great portal with a decorated lunette by glasswindow terra-cotta of Andrea della Robbia and the outsider pulpit of Donatello (the original of the parapet is how in the Museum of "Opera del Duomo") were built.

In spite of a great number of intervations in the centuries the building preserves a stylistics unity: inside the transsept by Giovanni Pisano (1317-1368) is well situated in the plant formed by three aisles with apses on the peak, subdivided in six arcades for each side (dated back to the beginning of the XIII century), while the pulpit as globet (XV century), by Nino da Fiesole and Antonio Rossellino, is similar to that one by Donatello.

Among the most beautiful works of art contained in the done there are famous cycles of frescos: the stories of S. Stephen and S. Giovanni Battista (where "Herod's banquet" with the dancing Salomè is striking).They were made by Filippo Lippi and his collaborators (1452-65) and they decorate Main Chapel.. The stories of the Virgin Mary and of the Holy Waste (1392-95) by Agnolo Gaddi and his workshop in the Holy Girdle Chapel, and the stories of the Virgin Mary and S. Stefano concordatly assigned to Paolo Uccello 1397-1475) in the Assunta Chapel.

We remember also the precious sculptoral work like "Madonna dell'ulivo" tabernacle, (1480) by Giuliano brothers Giovanni and Benedetto da Maiano; "Holy Mother with Her Child" by Giovanni Pisano and the beautiful bronze crucified on the altar (1653) by Ferdinando Tacca.

Last updated: 25.02.2010
 back  top